The last school event for this month was Kartini Day celebration. Every April 21, Indonesians commemorate Kartini Day, the birthday of an Indonesian heroine, R.A. Kartini (1879-1904), who fought for women's emancipation during the Dutch colonial era. She established a school for women when tradition at that time banned Indonesian women to go to school. Later her very short life (she died at the age of 25) became a symbol for women’s rights and empowerment in this country. So it's a very special day for Indonesian women.On Kartini day schools around this country, usually Kindergarten and elementary, will hold a traditional costumes contest or parade. The most favorite costume for girls must be the Javanese "kebaya" like Kartini's wearing above. As for boys, there's no particular one.
For his first Kartini Day contest last Friday, Evan wore traditional costume from Padang, West Sumatra. None of us came from Padang by the way, but we had no choice since the rental shop nearby did not have stock for Manado or Javanese costume that we were looking for. But I think he looks good in Padang costume too, don't you think so?


He didn't win the contest that day, but it's ok. I was happy enough to see him willingly wearing the costume. I remember when I was at his age I didn't like wearing traditional costume. The picture below was taken when I was still in Kindergarten wearing kebaya on Kartini Day.
I was not a happy Kartini girlNot only schools that celebrate Kartini Day, by the way. Some public services like banks, train/bus, police or gas stations sometimes have their staff wearing traditional costume on that day. This one for example.
Woman bus driver wearing traditional costume(credit: JakartaPost)
Have a good day!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Hello & welcome, love to hear your thoughts.
Have a blessed day!