Durian. People say it tastes like heaven and smells like hell.

Durian, a thorny fruit from heaven
Because of its smell the fruit is banned in certain public transportation (like airplane) and some places (hotels), but in our house it's warmly welcome. When we brought durians to the house today, Evan was curious about them.


Though he commented about the strong smell, he still willing to try. It was his first taste of heaven.

But he decided that one lick was far enough for him. Hmm... let's see when he's a bit older.
Have you ever taste this fruit from heaven?
so cute I love eat durian!
ReplyDeleteToo cute. I have never had durian.
ReplyDeletewow, my favorite Durian...
ReplyDeleteMy whole family loves durian, except me. They all say it tastes really good. I don't know why my taste buds won't agree hehe I think I should try eating more of it to appreciate its taste. Taga-Davao pa naman ako.
ReplyDeleteI've heard a lot about this fruit, but I don't think I would like to try it 'cause stinky stuff doesn't appeal to me. :)
ReplyDelete@ Sherry, thank you
ReplyDelete@ Stacie, if you could bear the smell, you should try it :)
@ Katherine, thank you
@ Femmepower, same here. I forgot to mention that I don't like durian either but others in the family love it
@ Petula, amen, lol. Durian is hailed as king of fruits in Southeast Asia countries, my family love it but me :)
LOL! I just had durian last night! :)
ReplyDeleteThat looks like the weirdest piece of fruit!
ReplyDeleteI've never heard of these before... maybe some day I'll get to try one :)
ReplyDeleteA Lil Enchanted,
~LaShan~
My mother and I are DETERMINED to buy one and try it... I see it every once in a while in the Asian market near us. How do I know when it is ready to eat? We plan to do it OUTSIDE LOL. My brother has had it and loves it...!!!
ReplyDelete@Mariuca, having durian party kah?
ReplyDelete@Simply Being Mommy, looks and smells weird, but people love them here :)
@A Lil Enchanted, you should try it :)
@Katherine, durian from Thailand (Thai Mon Thong) usually will crack open when it's ripe. It must have a "good smell" of durian too. No smell means unripe, over rich means overripe (though some people love it that way). Here we can also ask the seller to open it so we can taste it before we buy.
Having it outside? Better prepare for neighbor's complains, lol.
I tried loving durian the way other people do, but I can't eat it! I really don't like the taste.
ReplyDeleteDurian candies are fine anyways.
It's a fascinating fruit.I'd rather look at it than eat it.
ReplyDelete@lunarhemizphere, I know what you mean
ReplyDelete@Dr. Lauren, better look it from the picture so no need to smell it :)
wahhhhhhh...honestly speaking i hate that fruit before...The entire family was teasing me for not eating!
ReplyDeletebut now when i tried durian( Chane ) wow! i was craving for it almost everyday. As if i was pregnant that time. 2 weeks straight...
But just CHANE...i don't eat other names of durian! hehehe! Chane ksi taste like milk...yummy!
Eating durian candies and delicacies is as far as I have ventured when it comes to his heavenly fruit. I sure would love to experience eating the fruit in all its heavenly goodness. I'm sure Evan would love it when he grows older.
ReplyDeleteEvan must ahve really tasted heaven when he had durian the first time. That was also my feeling when I tasted it long time ago. Never had a second chance though, durian is not available in my place now.
ReplyDeletehonestly, I've never even heard of durian...is it native to some certain land??
ReplyDeletedurian jam was one of my addictions. reminds me of my friend who always received it from her parents and we'd go feast on them with crackers. yum.
ReplyDeleteLiving in Arizona, I have never even heard of a durian before, nor seen one in a picture until I saw this post. What does it taste like, does it have a comparable fruit?
ReplyDeleteNo I have never tried it, and never heard of it, but I would be willing to try it.
ReplyDeleteDon't give up on him, he'll acquire a taste for it if you keep trying. :)
I've never had durian. It's pretty odd looking, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteIf it smells bad though, I don't know if I'd be able to try it. A big part of taste for me is smell. :) Limburger cheese... agh... I'll pass. More durian for you guys. ;)
Everyone in my family love durian. So do I. Always waiting for "durian season".
ReplyDelete@ Jennifer, it's a native fruit from Southeast Asia countries
ReplyDelete@ Dragonblogger, durian tastes sweet or bitter-sweet, and has warming effect to our body if we eat too much. Can't find comparable fruit though
Ooh Durian. The only time I was able to taste Durian is in the form of a candy. My parents brought home about 2 Durian fruits when they came home from Davao years ago and I didn't really find the smell appealing so I just opted for the candy instead. The Durian candy is already heaven enough for me. :)
ReplyDeleteI love durian but my husband and family in US don't like the smell.
ReplyDeleteHmm, your son looked enjoying in eating it.
I've read about Durian on various blogs that I visit, but I don't think I've ever seen or tasted it. I suspect you can't get it in the United States. If you, can, I haven't found where. It may be that it doesn't travel well, or companies are unlikely to ship it to the States.
ReplyDeleteSome day, I hope I'll get an opportunity to taste it.