28 August 2009

Mommy Moments: Name Game

mommy moments


This week theme is about our kid's name and the meaning/story behind it plus his/her latest picture. Every parents have their own way to name their kids. For us name is a prayer, we pray that our child will live up to his/her name. It's a tradition in our family to ask suggestions to our parents about our baby's name, especially for the first-born baby. Though in the end it's up to us, the parents, to decide whether we want to use it or not.

When we asked our parents about our first-born's name, my dad suggested Yohanes, it's Indonesian version of John. But we thought Yohanes was too long and John was too short, so we looked for alternatives in other languages. Then we found Evan (which is Welsh origin) and Keona (Hawaiian origin) as variants for John. We liked both names so decided to use them as our son's first and middle name. Evan and Keona means God is good and gracious gift of God.


Evan Keona, taken last Sunday.
He got bored waiting for us shopping at the mall then
he ended up playing with a trolley. It came up blurry
though, sorry, I was using my cellphone.

Speaking about baby's name, some of you probably already know that I'm currently pregnant with my second child. The baby's due on mid October and it's gonna be another boy (at least that's my OB/GYN said). I already have some names in mind but still open for suggestions (in case I missed some good names out there), so feel free to suggest a name for my second baby. I'm looking for a baby boy name that begins with letter "E", any languages are welcome. Have an idea? Thanks in advance.

18 comments:

  1. great names with great meanings.. Your son surely has a beautiful name.=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Napansin ko Mommy puro unique names ang mga pangalan ng mga anak ng fellow mommies including yours. I've heard Evan before pero hindi pa ang Keona. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ang ganda talaga ng mga names ng mag anak natin oy hehehhe. Mine is up too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evan Keona is a nice combination. Truly unique! Mine is up, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well yes, kids are God's gifts. Evan Keona, a very apt name for a child. I particularly love the name Evan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May I join your name game by citing how we gave name to one of our children? Our first born, a boy, was named in honor of his grandfathers, a traditional way but we do it with tweaks. His paternal grandfather was Marcelo while it was Valeriano for his mother's side. We named him Marc Valeri.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would suggest Eugene, which means well-born.

    Happy name-choosing!

    Kristy
    tettro[at]gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why are some of the comments in some garbled language? Strange...anyway, I like your son's name because it's unique. My first daughter's name was a name I always said I would name my first girl...unfortunately, it was also the most common at that time (Ashley). My second & third daughters are Kiara & Jocelyn, then my last 2 girls I named Amber and Lacey. Even my son has a unique name: Dakota.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @EdZee, I was named after my grandma

    @Kristy, one of the names I was thinking is Eugene too, but it's kinda hard for Indonesian to pronounce it correctly

    @Jennifer, it's Filipino language :) Your kids have pretty names

    Thanks for participating the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. such a unique name. great entry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our 2nd son was named Oliver because we wanted an old world name that was regal sounding. It just rolled off the tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's nice! I never would have thought of using two different variants of a name, but it works very well.

    E names... Elijah is a nice one. Emir/Amir is an Arabic name, it means prince.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! The way you choose the name are interesting. I have my friend with name Erwin, Ezwan and Eddy. I don't really know what it means though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what i suggest is nathaniel.. i love that name...good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Evan is nice, first time I heard Keona though. :)
    You wouldn't want to know my real name. It's so old school. My dad wanted all of his children to have MA's so all 8 of us are named Mario, Marvin, Maria..., Maria..., Maria..., that's to say us girls have Maria at the beginning of our names and the 9th and youngest one is a a Jr. (II). When I researched what my name means, it's contradicting: Light and Bitter. LOL.

    Anyway, a suggestion for your second child's name... how about:

    Emmett - strength
    Ethan - strong, firm

    ReplyDelete
  16. Edward is a nice name, if you like it. Eden is beautiful name, too.

    Just suggestion, I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Mara, interesting! I have the same idea like your father, I want my kids' name start with "E" like my real name.

    @ all, thanks for sharing ideas for my second baby's name. All are great names, really appreciate it. Will test those names to see if others can say it correctly :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello & welcome, love to hear your thoughts.
Have a blessed day!