13 February 2010

School Time: Chocolate For Valentine's Day

valentine's chocolateTo be honest, I never really celebrate Valentine's Day. Probably because when I grew up, Valentine was not so popular. Some schools even banned students from talking about Valentine. It was labeled as western custom that was not for us. However, things have changed now. With so many commercials and shows on TV about Valentine, it is hard not to get involved with this so called love day... even for a preschooler.

Yesterday, Evan had a Valentine related event at school which seems to me like a chocolate day. So what did they do at the event? The main message was to teach the children about caring and giving. To symbolize it the teachers would give chocolate to the students and in return us, the busy parents, students had to prepare something for their teachers within three days notice ggrrr.... And the easiest things for me to grab during these days were, of course, chocolate.
valentine's chocolate
Three little boxes of chocolate for teachers

Inside each box are 9 little heart shaped chocolates with teacher's name on it. This one for example was for Ms. Christine, his class teacher.
valentine's chocolate

We had to hide those boxes from the boy until the event started, otherwise his teachers would get empty boxes, lol. So there he was, ready for school without knowing what to give to the teachers.
preschoolers celebrating Valentine's day

The dress code for the day was red for boys and pink for girls.
preschoolers celebrating Valentine's day

With his teachers, Ms. Christine and Mr. Harry (music teacher). His English teacher, Ms. Eta, was not there. On the table were the teachers' gifts for the kids, Tango wafer and little heart shaped chocolate.
preschoolers celebrating Valentine's day

Enjoy your Valentine/Chinese New Year weekend (whichever suits you) everyone!

18 comments:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day! :)

    Rather than thinking about it being a part of Western Culture, one should focus on the positive - that is the caring, giving, loving aspect of the celebration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @rjs mama,
    Happy Valentine's day to you too!

    @Lina,
    Happy Valentine's day to you too!

    True. Though to some extents I say amen to those who say no to Valentine's day, as long as they don't try to stop others who say yes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi sis, just want to ask if you are a Filipino or not because i sometimes commented here in Tagalog, our national language. My apology if you are not Filipino. hehe

    Anyway, yeah, right, hide first the chocolates or else Evan will eat it all...hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kat,
    Hahaha no I'm not, I'm Indonesian =))

    It's ok though, it's common happen here, so you're not alone. I use Google to translate, sometimes it works sometimes not, but I assume it's all good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Evan's Mom,
    I'd say not to the over-commercialized Valentine's Day.
    But nothing wrong to celebrate our loved ones during this special day. ;;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Valentine's Day sweetie! And I am on ur EC today, doubly sweet! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent blog, your narration is very nice, I love your blog. We are facing big threat from low quality plastic toys and materials. SAVE OUR CHILDREN from toxic materials. Hope you love my blog and its intention to react against health issues. I wish you too with me.Please follow my blog and subscribe email, to get more shocking foodish news

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Lina, of course, nothing's wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Mariuca,
    Happy Valentine to you too dear! Yup, MPG is on, thanks for advertising here :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Valentine's Day. hope you had a blast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lady, very nice posting. I guess the whole World now celebrate Valentine's day....and love is but a word till someone comes along and gives it meaning.
    You stay young, and keep a song in your heart and have a great Tiger year, best regards, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @LifeRamblings,
    happy Valentine's Day too :)


    @Uncle Lee,
    I guess so, thanks to the media out there
    You too have a great Tiger year :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed your post and very informative. come on my blog I hope you Find information effectively. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's a nice event! Belated Happy Valentines!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent gift.... at least for me. The pretty little choc hearts will win the teacher's heart. :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. well its late but Happy Valentines Everyone. Goes until next year too! :D

    ReplyDelete

Hello & welcome, love to hear your thoughts.
Have a blessed day!